Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Group Work.

Always wanting to get the best grade possible I despise working in groups because through past experiences it's been discovered that I always end up with people who rely on me to do all of the work. Partially I am at fault because I always seem to give people the perception that I always do the work, as they should because in fact I do. Because I strongly dislike working in groups I rather not. But when put into scenarios where I must work with others I put aside my past experiences and try to make the task at hand the most pleasant experience for myself and others.


I, before anyone says anything make it known that I did the assignment and make it clear that I will be the group leader because in life sometimes you have to do things your way in order to get them done. I told my group what I liked and disliked in the book Antigone, as I previously wrote in my blog entitled "Antigone Reflection". They immediately responded positively with feed back letting me know that they too had read the required text. Although, one of the students in my group was new and had no idea what the text was about I tried to inform him of how our theme related to the book. He immediately took charge and wrote down notes allowing me to feel safe and secure with my group. They each followed the directions clearly and respected the fact that I felt responsible for leading the group discussion and making an outline of the order in which we would present. My group made me feel hope in working in groups. As funny as that sounds I now know that it's not group work that makes a bad experience but the people you work with.

Overall I enjoyed working with the members in my group because they read the required assignment, and understood it to the point that we could have an open discussion about it and make our oral presentation the best that we could within the 30 minute window we had.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer: As I explained in class, I empathise with your feelings about group work...though in a college literature setting there is much to learn from each other. I appreciate the fact that you took a leadership role in your group, now I will offer you a challenge for one week to sit back and allow yourself to be second in charge...just see what happens and let me know.
    Your reflections on what it means ot be a hero are beautifully written and poignant. I love your photo of your dad and you...it is such a beautiful shot and perfectly captures your feeling. Thanks for sharing this. See you next week. Prof K

    ReplyDelete