Friday, February 5, 2010

What Makes a Hero?

A man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities is defined to be a hero. Different people believe and expect different things of hero. It doesn't matter who you ask you will most likely always get a different definition for the same word. A hero is like superman only more realistic. For example, a hero can be anyone you want; for a child it can be a character on their favorite television show, or for an adult it can be the star player of a football team.

To me a hero is someone who helps you, protects you, guides you, believes in you, and never fails in your eyes. A hero is someone you hold high standards for and although they are only human you always think they are perfect and incapable of making any errors. A hero is someone who saves your life. Someone who genuinely cares for your well being. Someone who supports you even if they don't agree with what's going on in the first place. A hero can do anything, especially things that ordinary people can not do.

My hero is my father, my father growing up with out one himself is the best father anyone could ever ask for. I see my father as a hero because he is always there for me and constantly proves to be the one man in my life I know will always be there for me. He does amazing things like took me to take my SATs to get into college, he took me to buy all of the necessary books. He helps me in anything I need help with, he always manages to make things look so easy when others seem to struggle so hard. He is handy and helpful, if something important to me breaks like my hair dryer he will take it apart and fix it for me. My father is only human and certainly has made some mistakes along the way. There isn't a time when he doesn't say, "if I could do that over..." but he shows me that the things he's done he has learned from and that is the most important part of making mistakes...learning from them.

My father is not a hero because he can fix things or gives me rides places so it seems, but he is a hero in my eyes because he never gives up. A hasn't gone by throughout my life that i stop to question him because he is always showing me and telling me that there is always a way to get things done, no matter the circumstance, you must be aggressive in order to get what you want out of life. My hero is my father because he never gives up when he had a million reasons to quit, always kept his head up and pulled through very gracefully.

A hero is someone that means the world to you and in your eyes is the one special person you know will never let you down. My father has yet to let me fall down without him being there to catch me. Although some might argue that a father can not be a hero because he isn't doing anything that any other man can't. But he is! He is special, I have high expectations of my father, and respect for him. He's a hero because he's never quit on life, and on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment